19.4.15

Ipsy April 2015 - how the bag can make up for the products

This month was pretty disappointing from Ipsy, with the exception of the AWESOME bag they picked for the theme ("Bohemian Beauty").  There were a number of items I would have liked to get, and naturally I didn't get any of them!  Also, the one item that everyone got (TheBalm cosmetics eyeshadow) somehow looked SO much bigger in the previews so I was a little sad when it was so itsy bitsy (though technically full size, so no real reason to complain).

This month's bag, however was SO SO Cool.  Woven and a little bigger than most of their bags, I just can't wait to use it as a clutch (maybe if I'm lucky and get to go to the Pens game tomorrow??) (Also: GO PENS GO!)

Opening the bag:


Oh Ipsy, you always know how to win me over with a cute bag.  I generally feel if I like the bag and at least one item I'm happy with my $10 a month.  I think I'll be ok with this month by the time it is all said and done.

Inside:



  • Theorie - Argan Oil Ultimate Reform Hair Serum (Value $6.18)
  • Hikari cosmetics Blush in Tango (Value $15)
  • TheBALM Cosmetics Nude Dude Eyeshadow in Fit (Value $3)
  • Starlooks Satin Finish Lip balm in Cuddle (Value $3 - guess volume not listed on their website, based my calculations on standard sizes and the tiny size of this one)
  • Muellin & Sparrow cheek and lip tint (Value $5.50)
Total Value:   $32.68

Thoughts:

Everything in this bag is *so close* to being great, but they all just miss the mark slightly.  I love argan oil hair serums, but frankly I have about 400 of them by now (2 dove samples, a giant bottle from Ipsy, some free samples from sephora... I have more argan oil than I know what to do with).  The smell of this one is nice, and it did blend into my skin and hair nicely, but the dispenser is a little small and doesn't allow the oil to come out on its own!  I had to pull the plastic stopper out and dab some on my hand to test it.  So not so good on the packaging.
(Swatches in natural light from thumb to pinky:  Starlooks lip gloss, Muellin &Sparrow Lip Tint, theBalm eyeshadow, Hikari Blush)

The blush is just way, way too pink for me.  I either need to gift this or come up with a good clown costume to wear it with.  And the eyeshadow, while a nice color, is too dark to be a single shade for eyeshadow which means I'll need to carry a second palette with me or use it at home - and it matches SO many shades I already have that it is really just a duplicate of about 5 shades I already have.  Both products are nicely pigmented and blend very smoothly though. 

The Starlooks lip gloss is a winner for me, and the small size (that most folks are complaining about, what!?) is perfect for fitting in a going out bag or in my purse.  Plus I might actually use it all up before I lose it, which is always an amazing miracle around me. 

Now lets talk about that lip/cheek stain.  There was some serious mud being thrown about from people who received this and another sample (a mica based eye primer) that the products were moldy or had "gone off".  So since I'd read all these allegations before I received my product I was worried.  Mine looks totally OK right now, so I did swatch it, but I don't plan on actually using it until it has sat around for a few weeks to see if anything develops (or doesn't) from those moldy allegations. That said, it has little to no pigmentation so I don't see it "staining" anything, but the smell is quite nice and very orange-y, so I might end up using it if it looks good after a few weeks.

So I love the bag, I like the lipgloss, and I might end up liking the cheek/lip stain.  All together this month is a draw, but I've had a bunch of great months recently so I am totally OK with that!


If you would like to sign up for Ipsy and get your own bag and access discounts on the brands & products Ipsy puts in their bags each month you can visit www.ipsy.com or visit this link to sign up with my referral.  Ipsy members do receive "bonus points" for reviews and referrals, which can be redeemed for extra goodies.  So if you like my reviews and would like to say "thanks" please sign up with my referral! 

No comments:

Post a Comment